What to Expect
Arriving at the Church
Arriving at TCBC you'll want to allow a few extra minutes to find a good parking spot so that you aren't rushed to get into the church. As you walk into TCBC, you will be greeted warmly. If you are entering the main doors along Michigan Avenue, you can continue up the half-flight of stairs to the foyer. There will likely be a lot of people talking with others, so it can be a bit noisy in there!
People who worship with us dress mostly casual. So, yes, it's okay to wear jeans to church! Several people do. Some people wear khaki pants and a button-down shirt and there's even an occasional tie amongst the crowd. The point is, come as you are!
Before the Service Begins
Each Sunday when you walk through the doors, greeters will hand you a bulletin outlining the elements of that day's service. Once in the foyer, you'll notice there are several doors along the west side of the foyer that lead into the sanctuary. Pews are arranged in a bit of a semi-circle around two-thirds of our hexagon-shaped sanctuary. An usher can help you find a seat if you need, as the 10:45 a.m. service, in particular, can get crowded during the school year.
As you take your seat before the service begins, get to know the people around you. Some people take this time to connect with friends while others may be preparing their hearts for worship. To find out more about activities at the church, pick up a monthly announcement brochure from one of the literature tables in the foyer.
Kids at TCBC
We love children at TCBC and welcome them in our classrooms, which have age-appropriate curriculum and furnishings. A variety of activities await your child, and a light, simple snack will be served during the morning. Sometimes children sit on the floor, so dressing them in comfortable clothing is helpful. Some kids dress casual, while some like to dress up. All regular volunteers have been interviewed and screened to ensure your child’s safety. Here's more about our different classrooms:
- Wee Ones – infants and crawlers
- Tiny Tots – toddlers under age 2
- Explorers – 2 – 3 ½ years old
- Discover Zone – 3 ½ - Pre K (must be potty trained)
- Discipleland – K-3rd grade. This class meets during the 10:45 a.m. service. When there is only one worship service, this class meets at 9 a.m. This class does not meet during July and early August.
- Kid's Time – K-3rd grade. Children begin the 9 a.m. service with their family in the worship service. Prior to the sermon children leave the service for Kid's Time, which consists of age-appropriate worship, activities and stories. When there is only one worship service, Kid's Time will take place during that service even though it is not at 9 a.m.
- Champions – 4 & 5th Grades . This class meets during the 10:45 a.m. service. When there is only one worship service, this class meets at 9 a.m. It does not meet during July and early August.
- Middle School and High School – These classes meet in the youth building at 10:45 a.m. When there is only one worship service, these classes meet at 9 a.m. They do not meeting during July and early August.
Worship Through Music
Blended worship is at the core of TCBC. We believe contemporary praise songs connect well with today's society and traditional hymns carry centuries-old messages with the wisdom of the ages. As such, each service typically has a couple of hymns spread throughout, as well as one or two praise sets made up of a few contemporary songs.
During the hymns, you may sing the words as they appear on the screens or you may use the hymnals found in the pew in front of you or under your chair, if you prefer. For the praise choruses, you'll find the words on the screens. There are two main screens at the front of the church and smaller screens in each of the areas at the rear of the sanctuary. As some people internalize the lyrics, you may see some swaying back and forth or raising of hands.
Preaching at TCBC
Our goal is to offer transformational Biblical preaching that challenges you, encourages you and helps you grow. We strongly believe God is speaking and revealing himself to us through the Bible. If you don’t have a Bible, you’ll find a stack by each door as you enter the sanctuary. You’re welcome to borrow one of these Bibles or keep it if you need a Bible of your own.
Fellowship Time Between Services
Grab a bite to eat and chat with others during Fellowship Time, which takes place from 10:15 to approximately 10:40 AM in the Fellowship Hall, located just beneath the sanctuary. Fellowship Time takes place between the first and second service; there is no Fellowship Time during the summer months.
All adults are invited to check out our selection of Adult Formation Classes. The classes are topic-based and are designed to provide stimulating discussion and spiritual formation. Classes vary in structure and content, but the foundation is always the truth of God’s Word and its life-changing power. Sometimes classes are offered on topics such as current events, social action issues, missions training, spiritual disciplines, classic Christian literature, and parenting and family issues, in addition to Bible studies. TCBC is blessed to have a number of gifted teachers who teach on topics for which they have a particular passion. Check out Adult Formation classes going on now.